Sunday, September 29, 2019
Frank Lampard when asked if Jorginho is Chelsea's main Penalty taker: “Yes he is, end of story,”
Frank Lampard has declared the penalty-taking debate at Chelsea to be over, with Jorginho handed the responsibility after converting in a 2-0 win over Brighton.
Questions had been asked at Stamford Bridge over recent weeks as to who should be stepping up from 12 yards.
Jorginho has always been a favoured choice, but Ross Barkley snatched the ball off him in a Champions League clash with Valencia.
The England international fluffed his lines, but stated afterwards: “When I’m on the pitch, I’ll take the penalty.
"Obviously I didn’t execute it right but everybody misses penalties. I didn’t score the goal but I felt confident.
“If there was another penalty in the game, I would have been confident to take the pen. You can miss penalties."
While Barkley believed that he was still the main man, it was Pedro who stepped up during a Carabao Cup clash with Grimsby.
He found the back of the net, but slipped down the pecking order against Brighton as Jorginho took charge once more.
The Italy international never looked like missing and is now the go-to man for the Blues.
“Yes he is, end of story,” Lampard said when quizzed on the issue.
The Blues boss was then pressed further on his decision and added: “I knew you’d ask me that question again. I’m surprised about the obsession with penalty takers.
“Jorginho took it and he scored. He’s a penalty taker.”
Jorginho impressed against Brighton in the middle of the park, with Chelsea preserving their faultless league record against the Seagulls.
He did not have France international N’Golo Kante alongside him, with Lampard opting not to take a risk on the fitness of the World Cup winner after seeing him carry a few niggling knocks since the summer.
Lampard said of Kante: “It’s an awareness, I didn’t want to take a risk.
“I spoke to N’Golo about it and he’s so important for us. We know that.
“He’s had a difficult pre-season. It’s been difficult for us but mainly for him because of the break-up of his pre-season, with the injury carrying over from last year.
“It wasn’t right to risk him. He could have a chance for Lille.”
Juventus are keeping in touch with developments concerning Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka as per reports from Calciomercato. The 20-year-old Winger i...
Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham says he is looking to emulate club legend Didier Drogba, a player he grew up idolising. Abraham now fin...
Italy manager Roberto Mancini has revealed his decision to withdraw left-back Emerson in the ea...
According to The Athletic, Manchester United Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer thinks he still needs three more players to make the team proper c...